//
you're reading...
Costume Construction, Kate's Costumes

Beginning the ‘Origin’ Dress

So if you’ll recall, I had a bit of a rant last night about finding a great piece of fabric but the seller didn’t have enough.  I decided this morning that I would message the seller just on the off chance there was another yard or two hidden somewhere.  It never hurts to ask and this time it paid off! I’ve got enough fabric ordered now to do the dress, I just hope I like the color when it shows up and the print.  I know the print isn’t exact, but it should give me the look I’m after…if not, I guess I’ll be forced to make a pair of curtains.  😛

This is Vala’s dress from the SG1 Episode: ‘Origin’ that I’m working on (where she goes into Sallis’s body).  I’m not going to push myself to get it done by Halloween, it would be nice, but if it doesn’t happen with everything going on then that’s okay.  I’ve found a great pair of shoes to go with the costume, but those are a lot lower on the priority list so they will probably be my very last purchase.

I’m going to use a pattern from 1999 that’s out of print as the base.  I found seller on eBay with it and from

Base pattern for this costume

what I can tell the main silhouette is pretty close without much in the line of alterations.  Since Vala’s grown laces up the back (think corset) I will probably put an invisible zipper in the side of the dress so I can get it and out of it easier.

For the ivory sleeves I’ve got a chemise that I made for underneath some medieval costumes that I’m going to cut apart and re-purpose…I think.  The fabric has great texture and really, I’d just have to remove the sleeves from the current dress and cut a section off for the dress front since there is no chemise underneath Vala’s dress, it’s just looks like there could be.  I’m just not 100% certain the color is close enough for me.  It’s sort of bordering on light beige instead of ivory, so we’ll see.

There’s a great paisley print I’ve also found that I think I like for the outer sleeves and top section of the dress front, but I’m not sure if it’s going to work just yet…still contemplating that.

All in all, I’ve got a good start on collecting things.  We’ll see how fast this project moves along once I have fabrics in hand.  And with some luck, I can get to the rest of my sewing stash soon because there are a lot of things in there I need when working on a costume.  😉

Advertisements

About Kate, who is becoming Vala or Aeryn (depending on the day)

I'm a costumer, seamstress and new Mom that enjoys the challenges of recreating costume seen on screen, as well as wearable garments. There's lots I could tell you about myself, but we'll save that for another day. ;-) (aka: HothGirl)

Discussion

No comments yet.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: